Mark A. Brown
- Sole Practitioner
Mark graduated from Northwestern University (Evanston, Illinois) in 1974 with a B.A. in History. He then attended the University of California, Hastings College of the Law (San Francisco, California) where he was the Articles Editor of Hastings Communications and Entertainment Law Journal, and graduated in 1977 with a Juris Doctor degree.
Mark was an instructor at the University of Puget Sound, School of Law (now Seattle University School of Law) from 1977 to 1979 before entering private practice in Seattle.
He is admitted to practice in California as well as Washington. He is also admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Eastern District of California (1977), the Northern District of California (1980) and the Western District of Washington (1979).
Mark is a member of the Washington State Trial Lawyers Association, the Family Law Section and the Litigation Section of the Washington State Bar Association, the King County Bar Association and the Snohomish County Bar Association.
He has substantial experience in complex family law litigation, including marital separation and dissolution, committed intimate relationships, domestic partnerships, contested custody, parenting disputes and related matters. Mark is a panel member and mediator in the King County Superior Court Family Law Settlement Conference Program. Additionally, he has served as a court appointed Guardian ad Litem, and as a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) representative for minor children in a variety of dissolution and parentage cases.
Mark also represents as number of small businesses and family partnerships in a variety of corporate and business matters. He has represented clients in numerous civil litigation matters in trial courts, administrative hearings, arbitrations and mediations. Mark is also on the panel of approved Arbitrators appointed by the King County Superior Court.
Mark is married with three children and two grandchildren. He and his wife have resided in the Queen Anne neighborhood of Seattle for almost 40 years.
Some of Mark’s community activities have included memberships on the Queen Anne Community Council, the Queen Anne Lutheran Church Council, the Hilltop School Board of Directors (Chair), Bishop Blanchet High School Parent Club (Fund-raising Chair) and the O’Dea High School Father’s Club (President).
Mark has been active in youth baseball (ages 7-18) in Western Washington for over 30 years, having served as a coach, administrator, and board member in a variety of local and regional organizations. He continues his service as a baseball umpire at several levels of play.
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law 60%
- Civil Litigation 10%
- Business and Commercial Law 10%
- Estate Planning 10%
- Probate 10%
- California, 1977
- Washington, 1979
- U.S. District Court Western District of Washington, 1979
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1980
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1977
- Northwestern University, Evanson, Illinois
- B.A. - 1974
- Major: History
- Presenter, Developments in Domestic Discovery, National Business Institute, 2014
- Presenter, Discovery in Domestic Litigation, National Business Institute, 2013
- Presenter, Discovery procedure in Divorce Litigation, National Business Institute, 2011
- Presenter, Establishing the Primary Parent in Custody Litigation, National Business Institute, 2010
Professional Associations and Memberships
- King County Bar Association , 1980 to Present
- Snohomish County Bar Association , 1989 to Present
- Washington State Trial Lawyers Association , 1989 to Present
- Court Appointed Special Advocate, Family Law CASA , 1997 to 2005
- King County Guardian ad Litem , 1999 to 2006
- King County Superior Court Family Law Settlement Conference Program – Mediator , 2010 to Present
- Panel of Approved Arbitrators appointed by the King County Superior Court , 1991 to Present
- LawQA, 2011 to Present
- Ceridian Attorney Referral Network , 2012 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Mark A. Brown, P.S.
- Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, PLLC, Of Counsel, 2010 to 2015
- Aiken & Brown, PLLC, 2008 to 2009
- Aiken & Fine, P.S, Attorney, 1983 to 2008
- Wheeler & Brown , 1981 to 1983
- Holman & Monahan , Attorney , 1979 to 1981
Pro Bono Activities
- Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) - King County Superior Court , 1997 to 2005
- Guardian ad Litem - King County Superior Court , 1999 to 2006
- Mediator - King County Superior Court Family Law Settlement Conference Program , 2010 to Present
- Arbitrator - appointed by the King County Superior Court , 1992 to Present
- Chairperson & Member - Queen Anne Lutheran Church Council , 1995 to 1999
- Member - Queen Anne Community Council , 1980 to 1990
- Chairperson & Member - Hilltop School Board of Directors , 1986 to 1991
- Fundraising Chair - Bishop Blanchet High School Parent Club , 1996 to 1997
- President - O’Dea High School Father’s Club , 2000 to 2002
- Coach, Administrator, and Board Member in a Variety of Local and Regional Youth Baseball Organizations , 1987 to Present
- Baseball Umpire at Several Levels of Play , 1996 to Present
- Beta Theta Pi